Sunday, January 3, 2010

No More

No more crack cocaine for me,
No more, no more.
No more crack cocaine for me.
Many thousands gone.

No more alcohol for me....

No more heroin for me....

No more needles shared for me....

No more unsafe sex for me....


After the Emancipation Proclamation (1863), the original song, "No More Auction Block for Me," was sung by former slaves fighting in the Civil War. The stanzas include "No more auction block for me," "No more driver's lash for me," "No more pint of salt for me," and "No more peck of corn for me." Today's forms of enslavement call forth the updated words. (You might add "cigarettes" after "alcohol," but I can't, because I still smoke.)

Updated words, 1993,
by Carole Rose Livingston,
in honor of Black History Month

No comments:

Post a Comment